Toggle menu

Staying and feeling safe

This section contains information about staying and feeling safe in Plymouth.

Safety is a fundamental need for everyone, no matter where you live or what you do. Feeling safe and secure allows us to enjoy our lives and surroundings without fear.

Why safety matters

Protecting Your Loved Ones

Safety is not just about you; it's about the people you care about. By knowing how to identify and report issues like domestic abuse, child abuse, and adult neglect, you can help protect vulnerable individuals and ensure their well-being.

Your personal wellbeing

Feeling safe is essential for your mental and physical health. When you're aware of safe places in Plymouth and understand how to address anti-social behaviour, discrimination, and hate crimes, you can enjoy your surroundings with peace of mind.

Preventing exploitation

Modern slavery is an issue that affects vulnerable individuals. By understanding what modern slavery is and how to recognise it, you can play a role in preventing this injustice.

Explore the articles below to view information, advice and signposting to organisations and services that can help you.


Domestic abuse

Domestic abuse is when a family member or someone you're in a relationship, with treats you in a way that harms you physically, emotionally or sexually.

View page (Go to {0} Domestic abuse)

How to report child abuse or neglect

If you're worried about a child or young person or think they're being abused, even if you're unsure, call 01752 668000 or email

View page (Go to {0} How to report child abuse or neglect)

How to report adult abuse or neglect

If you're worried an adult is being abused or neglected, even if you're unsure, please report it.

View page (Go to {0} How to report adult abuse or neglect)

Safe Places in Plymouth

Safe Places is a scheme that helps people with learning disabilities if they feel anxious or they are faced with verbal abuse, bullying, or harassment when out in the community.

View page (Go to {0} Safe Places in Plymouth)

Anti-social behaviour

Anti-social behaviour is any behaviour that causes harassment, alarm or distress to a member of the public.

View page (Go to {0} Anti-social behaviour)

Discrimination and hate crime

A hate incident is any incident which the victim, or anyone else, thinks is based on someone's prejudice towards them because of their race, religion, sexual orientation, disability or because they are transgender.

View page (Go to {0} Discrimination and hate crime)

Missing persons

You do not have to wait 24 hours to report someone missing. If you think someone is in danger you can report them missing right away.

View page (Go to {0} Missing persons)

Sexual violence

If you're the victim of rape or sexual assault, the police and other organisations are there to help.

View page (Go to {0} Sexual violence)

Modern Slavery

Modern slavery is a serious crime. Victims are exploited, controlled or held captive and might be threatened or punished to stop them escaping or reporting the crime.

View page (Go to {0} Modern Slavery)

Devon and Cornwall Police

Call 999 if you or someone else is in immediate danger, or if the crime is happening right now. For a non-emergencies call 101.

View page (Go to {0} Devon and Cornwall Police)

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email