How to choose a builder
Useful tips to avoid cowboy builders include
- get personal recommendations from friends and neighbours
- get a quotation from more than one builder
- decide exactly what you want before asking for a quote
- ask the builder for references from other clients
- don't be hurried into a decision
- agree payment terms
- avoid paying the total amount up front (we recommend you avoid paying the total amount up front if possible, however your builder may require stage payments depending on the length of the contract and amount of work involved)
- consider using a building contract which sets out precise arrangements for the work to be done and what is expected from you and your builder
Buy with Confidence
Plymouth City council can help you find a local approved trader through the Buy with Confidence scheme. Every business listed has undergone a series of checks before being approved as a member of the scheme.
Visit the Buy with Confidence page to search for an approved trader.
If you're having trouble with a builder or contractor email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01752 307948.