Your child must receive a full-time education from the age of five but you can choose to educate your child at home.

If your child is already in school and you decide you want to teach them at home, you will need to write to the headteacher or chair of governors to let them know and ask them to take your child's name off the school's register.

Your child will be recorded as absent without authorisation and you could be fined if you don't inform their school. The headteacher or chair of governors will then notify the Inclusion, Attendance and Welfare Service, who (acting on our behalf) will check:

  • this is the best option for you and your child
  • there aren't any issues or problems influencing your decision that could be resolved
  • you can provide an effective education considering your child's age, ability, aptitude and any special needs

Once the school has accepted your decision (they can refuse if you want to send your child to school some of the time) the council will contact you to make informal enquiries regarding your plans, provide advice and offer you access to a Home Education Advisor. The council cannot enforce an educating method and you don't have to follow the national curriculum but it can be a useful guide.

For more information about educating your child at home please email or call 01752 307405.