Toggle menu

Ending a relationship

Ending A Relationship Panel

There are certain things you need to do when you separate from your partner in England or Wales.

If you have children

You and your ex-partner must share financial support for your children ('child maintenance').

You also need to make arrangements for looking after your children.

Agreeing these things is separate from doing legal paperwork to officially end your relationship.

If you're married or in a civil partnership

You need to divide your money and property. If you want this to be legally binding, you must apply to a court before finalising legal paperwork to divorce or end your civil partnership.

Dividing money and property is different if you're not married or in a civil partnership.

Ending your marriage

Get a divorce to officially end your marriage.

If you don't want a divorce, you can:

Ending your civil partnership

You can officially end your civil partnership.

Get a legal separation instead if you want to live apart without ending the civil partnership.

Making agreements about children, money and property

You can usually avoid going to court hearings if you can make your own agreements.

You'll still need to send legal paperwork to a court to officially end your relationship, or make legally binding agreements.

You can get help agreeing (using mediation, for example). Check if you can get legal aid for mediation.

You can usually only get legal aid for court costs if you're separating from an abusive partner.

Links to information and advice on the GOV.UK website

Getting separated or divorced

Help and support if you have children

More information

You can get advice and information about legal paperwork and making arrangements from:



Continue reading 


Is the information correct?

Let us know if the information on this page needs updating.

Want to create a page on the Plymouth Online Directory?  Register for free and add a page - it only takes a few minutes.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email