If your child attends school or sixth form, and you receive certain benefits you may be entitled to claim free school meals.  

Qualifying benefits

If you are in receipt of the following support payments, your child will be entitled to receive free school meals:

  • Universal Credit - provided you have an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400, as assessed by earnings from up to three of your most recent assessment periods
  • Income Support (IS)
  • Income-based Jobseekers Allowance (IBJSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (IRESA)
  • The guaranteed element of Pension Credit
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • Child Tax Credit (provided you're not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income as assessed by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs, that does not exceed £16,190)
  • Working Tax Credit run-on (the payment someone receives for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)

Children who receive a qualifying benefit in their own right are also allowed to receive free school meals.

How to apply for free school meals

The easiest way for you to apply is via the Free School Meal Administrator at your child's school; they will make the application directly to the Free School Meals Team at Plymouth City Council. 

You can apply online if your child/children attend Holy Cross Primary School, Stoke Damerel Community College, Marine Academy or Pilgrim Primary.

Apply for free school meals

For more information about free school meals please email fsm@plymouth.gov.uk or call 01752 307410.