Toggle menu

Tax-Free Childcare

Can I Get Help With Childcare Costs Banner

  • For families, including the self-employed, with children under 12 (or under 17 if disabled)
  • For every £8 you pay in, the government will add an extra £2, up to £2,000 per child per year 

If you're a working parent with children under 12 (or under 17 for disabled children), you can open an online account to pay for registered childcare.

The government will top-up the money you pay into the account. For every £8 you pay in, the government will add an extra £2. You can receive up to £2,000 per child per year - that's up to £500 every three months. If you have a disabled child, you can receive up to £4,000 per child - that's up to £1,000 every three months.

Am I eligible?

You, and any partner, must each expect to earn (on average) at least £131 per week (equal to 16 hours at the National Minimum or Living Wage). 

If you, or your partner, are on maternity, paternity or adoption leave, or you're unable to work because you are disabled or have caring responsibilities, you could still be eligible. 

You can't get Tax-Free Childcare if either you, or your partner, each individually expect to earn £100,000 or more.

How can I benefit?

You can use Tax-Free Childcare all year round to help pay:

  • Registered childminders, nurseries and nannies
  • Registered after-school clubs and play schemes
  • Registered schools
  • Home careworkers working for a registered home care agency

You can use Tax-Free Childcare at the same time as:

  • 15 hours free childcare
  • 30 hours free childcare

You can't use it with:

  • Universal Credit
  • Tax Credits
  • Childcare Vouchers (closed to new entrants)

Childcare Calculator

Get an estimate of how much help you can get with Tax-Free Childcare and other offers.

Apply for tax-free childcare

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email