Toggle menu

The Which? guide to Care Home finances

Which? have information about care home finances on their website that is worth reading.

They explain all you need to know about how to pay for a care home. This covers the wide range of care home fees, how to get local authority funding and tips on how to cover the costs if you're self-funding.

Paying for a care home

The options for paying for a care home, from local authority support and NHS Continuing Healthcare to paying the costs yourself.

Care home fees

Find out how fees vary across the UK. There are also differences depending on your care needs and the type of care home you are looking for.

Self-funding a care home

How to cover the costs of a care home if you're a self-funder, what happens if your money runs out and where to get financial advice.

Local authority funding for a care home

Government funding might be available to help pay for a care home.

Deferred payment agreements

A 'deferred payment agreement' is a long-term loan that can be requested from the council to help you pay your care home fees.

Care home top-up fees

A top-up fee can enable someone to live in the best care home for their needs, even if the local authority is not willing to meet the full cost of the chosen home.

The 12-week property disregard

In certain circumstances, your local authority may give you 12 weeks of breathing space to decide whether to sell your home to pay care home fees.

Paying for care in later life: a free guide from Which?

Download a free guide to paying for care in later life. The guide covers the main care options, how much they cost and how to apply for financial support.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email